Iowa Lottery General Information
The Iowa Lottery plays three state drawn game - Pick 3 (with midday and evening draws), Pick 4
(with midday and evening drawss), and $100,000 Cash Game.
Plus, three multiple-state games - Powerball, Mega Millions, and Hot Lotto.
Compared to other states, the Iowa offers fairlly high variety of lottery games.
Iowa lottery uses mechanical drawing system and drawings are televised live on on various TV stations in Des Moines and other
cities. Click here for the list of TV sations for IA lottery drawings.
This page is a quick reference, or a summary of the most relevant information contained in the Iowa Lottery
web site. Links to details are provided for more pertinent information.
On this page...
Iowa Lotteries Drawing Days and Times
The following table lists the drawing schedule of all Iowa lottery games. Drawing times are local and approximate.
|Game||Draw Days||Draw Time|
|Pick 3 Day||Everyday||12:40 p.m|
|Pick 3 Evening||Everyday||9:22 p.m|
|Pick 4 Day||Everyday||12:40 p.m|
|Pick 4 Evening||Everyday||9:22 p.m|
|Cash Game||Everyday except Sunday||8:30 p.m|
|Powerball||Wednesday and Saturday||10 p.m.|
|Mega Millions||Tuesday and Friday||10 p.m|
|Hot Lotto||Wednesday and Saturday||9:40 p.m.|
Iowa Lottery Games - Types, Top Prizes, Odds
The following is a compact summary of each Iowa lottery game. It includes a brief description of how to play a game, the top
prizes/jackpots, and the odds of winning the top prize. You can click on a game name for detailed information.
|Game||How to Play||Top Prize||Top Prize Odds|
|Pick 3||Select 3-digits 000 to 999||$600||1 in 1,000|
|Pick 4||Select 4-digits 0000 to 9999||$6,000||1 in 10,000|
|Cash Game||Select 5 numbers, 1 through 35||$100,000||1 in 324,632|
|Powerball||Select 5 numbers, 1 through 59 |
+ 1 Powerball number, 1 through 39
|1 in 195,249,054|
|Mega Millions||Select 5 numbers, 1 through 56 |
+ 1 Megaball number, 1 through 46
|1 in 175,711,536|
|Hot Lotto||Select 5 numbers, 1 through 39 |
+ 1 Hot Ball number, 1 through 19
|1 in 10,939,383|
Top prizes listed with "rollover" are the starting amount. The Jackpot prizes will grow after every draw until someone wins.
Pari-mutuel prize structure means players' winnings are determined by dividing the prize pool allocated for that winning category by the
number of winners.
Iowa Lottery General Rules and Regulations
The following are the most prominent rules and regulations that the player should be aware of before playing the Iowa lottery games.
- Iowa Lottery players must be 21 years of age or older.
- The Iowa Lottery is not responsible for lost or stolen tickets. You should sign the back of your ticket in ink and take
appropriate measures to safeguard it. Unless signed, anyone in possession of the ticket may file a claim.
- Tickets are ONLY available for purchase at authorized IA Lottery Agent Locations. Tickets are not sold by mail or through the
Claiming Prizes of the Iowa Lottery
Here are the steps you have to follow if you are a lucky winner of any Iowa lottery,
- Pick 3, Pick 4, and Cash Game prizes must be claimed within 90 days of the drawing for which they were eligible.
Powerball, Mega Millions and Hot Lotto prizes must be claimed within 365 days of the drawing for which they were eligible.
- Prizes up to $100 may be redeemed at any retailer location. Prizes from $101 to $600 may be paid by the retailer if sufficient
funds are available
- Prizes over $600 may be claimed either by mail or by visiting an Iowa Lottery office
- All Iowa Lottery prizes are subject to state and federal income taxes.
For further information, please see the
Iowa lottery How to Claim page.
Where do the Iowa Lottery profits go?
Iowa lottery proceeds have three main purposes.
- They provide support for veterans.
- Help for a variety of significant projects through the state general fund
- Used as backing for the Vision Iowa program, which was implemented to create tourism destinations and community attractions in the
state and build and repair schools.
More information can be found at: here
Information on Each Iowa Lottery Game
Further information on each Iowa lottery lottery game such as how to play, how to win, prizes, etc., is available on
this site at the following pages.
US-Lotteries.com is not in any way affiliated with the Iowa Lottery. The information listed here is just a summary of important facts
extracted from Iowa Lottery web site. The main purpose of US-Lotteries.com is to present statistics and analysis of winning numbers, plus, online
tools and calculators such as wheels and combinations generators. Click below to see the contents of the tools available for each game.