New Jersey Lottery General Information
New Jersey Lotteries Drawing Days and Times
The following table lists the drawing schedule of all New Jersey lottery games. Drawing times are local and approximate.
|Game||Draw Days||Draw Time|
|Pick 3 Day||Everyday||1 p.m|
|Pick 3 Evening||Everyday||8 p.m|
|Pick 4 Day||Everyday||1 p.m|
|Pick 4 Evening||Everyday||8 p.m|
|Jersey Cash 5||Everyday||8 p.m|
|Pick 6 Lotto||Monday and Thursday||8 p.m.|
|Mega Millions||Tuesday and Friday||11 p.m|
|Powerball||Wednesday and Saturday||11 p.m.|
New Jersey Lottery Games - Types, Top Prizes, Odds
The following is a compact summary of each New Jersey lottery game. It includes a brief description of how to play a game, the top
prizes/jackpots, and the odds of winning the top prize. You can click on a game name for detailed information.
|Game||How to Play||Top Prize||Top Prize Odds|
|Pick 3||Select 3-digits 000 to 999||Pari-mutuel||1 in 1,000|
|Pick 4||Select 4-digits 0000 to 9999||Pari-mutuel||1 in 10,000|
|Jersey Cash 5||Select 5 numbers, 1 through 40||Pari-mutuel, Rollover||1 in 658,008|
|Pick 6 Lotto||Select 6 numbers, 1 through 49||$2,000,000+|
|1 in 13,983,816 |
|Mega Millions||Select 5 numbers, 1 through 56 |
+ 1 Megaball number, 1 through 46
|1 in 175,711,536|
|Powerball||Select 5 numbers, 1 through 59 |
+ 1 Powerball number, 1 through 39
|1 in 195,249,054|
Top prizes listed with "rollover" are the starting amount. The Jackpot prizes will grow after every draw until someone wins.
Pari-mutuel prize structure means players' winnings are determined by dividing the prize pool allocated for that winning category by the
number of winners.
New Jersey Lottery General Rules and Regulations
The following are the most prominent rules and regulations that the player should be aware of before playing the New Jersey lottery games.
- New Jersey Lottery players must be 18 years of age or older.
- It is the player’s responsibility to check his or her ticket to make sure it represents the correct game, draw date, numbers
requested and has a visible bar code or serial number
- The ticket, not the playslip, is the only valid proof of your number selection, and it is the only valid receipt to claim a
- A ticket is a bearer instrument. It is recommended that the ticket be signed at the time of purchase.
- The New Jersey Lottery is not responsible for lost or stolen tickets. Tickets are void and will not be paid if determined stolen,
unissued, illegible, mutilated, altered in whole or part, misregistered, defective, incomplete, printed or produced in error,
- Please see also the New Jersey Lottery Legislation.
Claiming Prizes of the New Jersey Lottery
Here are the steps you have to follow if you are a lucky winner of any New Jersey lottery,
- Winning tickets must be claimed within 1 year of the winning draw date on the ticket. Prizes unclaimed after one year
are forfeited. By law, a minimum of 30% of the amount must return to the State as revenue.
- Any Lottery prize may be claimed in person or by mail.
- First, sign the back of your ticket immediately. Then take it to any New Jersey Lottery Retailer for validation.
- If your prize is worth $599.50 or less, you can receive your winnings in cash at any New Jersey Lottery Retailer.
- If your prize is over $599.50, you can claim it at your New Jersey Lottery Retailer or at New Jersey Lottery Headquarters.
However, you must fill out a claim form and your winnings will be reported to the Internal Revenue Service. It takes approximately
three weeks to receive a check from the New Jersey Lottery. Proper identification for tax purposes must be presented at the time
of the claim.
- For out of state winners only, download, fill out and print a Claim Form and instructions. The NJ Lottery also suggests that
you make a copy of your Claim Form and the tickets (front & back) in the rare event of a delay or loss in the mail. Staple your
signed tickets to the Claim Form. Enclose the Claim Form and tickets in an envelope and mail to:
NEW JERSEY LOTTERY COMMISSION
P.O. BOX 041
TRENTON , NJ 08625-0041
- The Federal Energy Policy Act of 1992, section 1942, requires the New Jersey Lottery to withhold a minimum 25% of all prize
payments to any Lottery winner who has won more than $5,000 on any Lottery wager. At the end of the year, the winner will receive
a W2-G form to properly credit the withholding as a tax payment on their federal income tax form.
- Winners who do not possess a social security number are subject to a 30% federal income tax deduction on any prize over $599.50.
- the New Jersey Lottery is required to withhold 3% State taxes from all Lottery winnings over $10,000.
For further information, please see the
New Jersey lottery How to Claim Prizes page.
You may also be interested in
Tax Requirements for NJ Lottery Prizes.
Where do the New Jersey Lottery profits go?
Approximately 34.5 cents of every dollar spent on the New Jersey Lottery goes to the state to benefit organizations and
programs in the state. Psychiatric hospitals and homes for the developmentally disabled, veterans homes, community colleges,
independent colleges and universities, school construction and renovation projects, school for the Deaf, non-public schools,
higher education scholarship and grant programs are just a few of the organizations and programs whose constituencies benefit
from Lottery proceeds.
More information can be found here
Information on Each New Jersey Lottery Game
Further information on each New Jersey lottery lottery game such as how to play, how to win, prizes, etc., is available on
this site at the following pages.
US-Lotteries.com is not in any way affiliated with the New Jersey Lottery. The information listed here is just a summary of important facts
extracted from New Jersey Lottery web site. The main purpose of US-Lotteries.com is to present statistics and analysis of winning numbers, plus, online
tools and calculators such as wheels and combinations generators. Click below to see the contents of the tools available for each game.
Jersey Cash 5
Pick 6 Lotto