South Dakota Lottery General Information
South Dakota Lotteries Drawing Days and Times
The following table lists the drawing schedule of all South Dakota lottery games. Drawing times are local (CST) and approximate.
|Game||Draw Days||Draw Time|
|Dakota Cash||Wednesday and Saturday||9:45 p.m|
|Powerball||Wednesday and Saturday||10 p.m.|
|Mega Millions||Tuesday and Friday||10 p.m|
|Hot Lotto||Wednesday and Saturday||10 p.m.|
|Wild Card2||Wednesday and Saturday||10 p.m.|
South Dakota Lottery Games - Types, Top Prizes, Odds
The following is a compact summary of each South Dakota lottery game. It includes a brief description of how to play a game, the top
prizes/jackpots, and the odds of winning the top prize. You can click on a game name for detailed information.
|Game||How to Play||Top Prize||Top Prize Odds|
|Dakota Cash||Select 5 numbers, 1 through 35||$20,000+|
|1 in 324,632|
|Powerball||Select 5 numbers, 1 through 59 |
+ 1 Powerball number, 1 through 39
|1 in 195,249,054|
|Mega Millions||Select 5 numbers, 1 through 56 |
+ 1 Megaball number, 1 through 46
|1 in 175,711,536|
|Hot Lotto||Select 5 numbers, 1 through 39 |
+ 1 Hot Ball number, 1 through 19
|1 in 10,939,383|
|Wild Card2||Select 5 numbers, 1 through 31 |
+ 1 Card Face, from 16 combinatios
|1 in 2,718,576|
Top prizes listed with "rollover" are the starting amount. The Jackpot prizes will grow after every draw until someone wins.
Pari-mutuel prize structure means players' winnings are determined by dividing the prize pool allocated for that winning category by the
number of winners.
South Dakota Lottery General Rules and Regulations
The following are the most prominent rules and regulations that the player should be aware of before playing the South Dakota lottery games.
- South Dakota Lottery players must be 18 years of age or older.
- You cannot purchase South Dakota Lottery tickets over the Internet or by mail.
- The Lottery is one of the most closely scrutinized agencies in state government and is structured with a comprehensive
oversight network of numerous checks and balances.
- You can see the South Dakota Lottery Laws and Administrative Rules.
Claiming Prizes of the South Dakota Lottery
Here are the steps you have to follow if you are a lucky winner of any South Dakota lottery,
- South Dakota Lottery prizes must be claimed within 180 days of the drawing. If prizes go unclaimed, state law requires
that the money go back to players by funding prizes in subsequent lottery games.
- You may claim prizes in person or by mail.
- Prizes of $100 or less can be claimed at any South Dakota Lottery retailer, regardless of where you purchased your ticket.
- Prizes of $101 or more must be claimed with an official claim form at a Lottery office or by mail.
- Any jackpot-winning ticket for Dakota Cash, Wild Card 2 or Hot Lotto, or for the second prizes for Powerball and Mega Millions
must be presented in person at a Lottery office.
- A jackpot-winning Powerball or Mega Millions ticket must be presented in person at the Lottery office in Pierre.
- The Lottery is required by the IRS to withhold 28 percent from prizes of more than $5,000, effective Jan. 1, 2011. Prior to
that date, the percentage of withholding was 25 percent. The State of South Dakota does not tax Lottery winnings.
- For further information and for procedures on how to claim your prize, please see the
South Dakota lottery How to Claim page
Where do the South Dakota Lottery profits go?
The South Dakota Lottery funds education, lowers property taxes, and develops natural resources.
- Each year, nearly half of the entire General Fund is used to support local K-12 schools and state universities and technical institutes.
- Tax Reduction Fund reduces local property taxes on owner-occupied and agricultural land by 30%.
- Local communities use Capital Construction Funds to pay for rural water systems, community drinking water and wastewater
improvement projects, and recycling and waste disposal programs
More information can be found at: here
Information on Each South Dakota Lottery Game
Further information on each South Dakota lottery lottery game such as how to play, how to win, prizes, etc., is available on
this site at the following pages.
US-Lotteries.com is not in any way affiliated with the South Dakota Lottery. The information listed here is just a summary of important facts
extracted from South Dakota Lottery web site. The main purpose of US-Lotteries.com is to present statistics and analysis of winning numbers, plus, online
tools and calculators such as wheels and combinations generators. Click below to see the contents of the tools available for each game.